Dexter Senior Center provides a place for older adults to engage in socialization, participate in activities, and receive health services to encourage successful aging in the community.
The organization had concerns about the future of the center and its existence. They recognized the need to grow in membership and presence in the community. Funding was also a major issue as the organization did not have a consistent source of support. Dexter Senior Center reached out to Kovir LLC for assistance in planning a strategic roadmap that would allow the organization to obtain sufficient funding for an expansion in its programs, services, and transitioning into a new location.
Kovir LLC participated in Dexter Senior Center’s board retreat and helped facilitate a strategic planning session with all board members. During the retreat, they collectively did an internal and external analysis of the organization. This included a competitive analysis, demographic analysis, SWOT analysis, and discussions about the vision of the center. Goals and focus areas were determined for the remainder of the year and through 2023. A strategic action plan was developed regarding membership growth, programs/services, marketing and development, staff skills sets, and board recruitment.
Membership Growth Strategy
- Located possible places to put up flyers and newsletters to advertise the center.
- Created elevator speeches/pitches for members to use when advertising the center to others (friends, sponsors, community, etc.).
- Developed a list of Dexter Area social events for networking and building connections with other organizations in the area.
- Brainstormed new programs, activities, and services older adults are interested in.
- Discussed how the center can generate additional revenue to fund programs through increased membership, annual events, board members, and community sponsors.
- Began the search for local event planners to organize fundraisers such as galas, silent auctions, or other annual events.
Staff Skill Sets
- Recognized the need and desire for a social worker at the center to advocate for older adults and provide care that is specific to their needs.
- Identified event planning and marketing as a skill to search for in future board members.